View Single Post
Old March 2, 2011, 05:37 PM   #16
BigJimP

If money was no object ..../ and if I was younger - and still looking to shoot serious competition ... for Skeet and Sporting Clays and some upland bird hunting.... I would invest in a Krieghoff -- with a Carrier barrel system ...

http://www.krieghoff.com/ki/index.ph...id=49&Itemid=2

krieghoff K-80 ....30" 12ga barrel / and a stand alone Carrier Barrel - with a full set of Briley Tubes in 20ga, 28ga and .410 . It would have a parallel comb / and an adjustable comb insert ( style 6 Trap Stock ) ...but in a more versatile setup on the receiver like a Skeet gun in the 8 3/4 lb range.

I would want a full set of extended chokes for each of the tube sets ( 2 Skeet, 2 Imp Cycl, 2 Mod, 1 Improved Mod, 1 Full ) / and an Americase to lug it all around in .../ some mid level engraving on the receiver - nothing too exotic --- grade V / VI stock would be nice enough and an investment of about $ 30,000 - $ 40,000 would probably cover it.

Its a far superior system to what I've done with my Browning O/U's by having 4 different guns. It also eliminates the weight issues on tubing a standard 12ga barrel making it close to a full lb heavier ---- because the stand alone 12ga barrel would weigh the same as the Carrier Barrel and the tubes installed. Plus a gun / with a better trigger - than any Browning is really capable of ...

Since I'm no longer interested in serious competition / my Brownings are just fine ....but just saying, there is a better system out there ...and its a "carrier barrel".

Companies like Briley - can make a "Carrier Barrel" from a customer supplied barrel ...( so if you had a pair of 12ga Citori XS Skeet models ) / you could send them both to Briley / let them bore one out for tubes as the carrier barrel --- and then fit both barrels to one receiver. But by the time you're done - 2 guns, carrier barrel, tubes, chokes ,etc --- its still about $ 15,000/ and at some point, if I was really going to do that --- I'd rather have the K-80 --- and it would be a better long term investment.

Page generated in 0.03478 seconds with 8 queries