View Single Post
Old November 10, 2013, 03:33 PM   #21
Bill Akins

Quote:
Whitebox wrote:
"one-piece barrel can't take it apart! how to cut the barrel then?"
It occurred to me that people have told you what NOT to do, but no one has yet told you what you need to do and how to do it. Hopefully I can help you with that.

Whitebox, whether you are describing a rifle or a shotgun, if you want to cut the barrel down shorter, the best way is to cut it in a lathe. I suspect the people at the gun shop did not give you correct information when they told you the barrel cannot be removed from the receiver. But whether it can or cannot be removed from the receiver, either way, the best way to cut it is on a lathe.

Here is the best way to cut the barrel.
If the barrel is removable from the receiver, just center it and clamp it down in a lathe and cut it. If for any reason it is impossible or too hard to remove the barrel from the receiver, you can still clamp the barrel in a lathe, and then just adjust the lathe to turn VERY VERY SLOWLY, because with the receiver on the barrel, if you don't run the lathe VERY VERY slowly, it will be out of balance, mess up your cut, and no doubt damage the barrel by possibly making it so unbalanced in the lathe that it comes loose from the lathe chuck and rattles all over the place and bends the barrel.

It takes a little more time doing it manually by hand, but if your receiver is still attached to the barrel, you can clamp the barrel into the lathe, and then turn the lathe manually by hand so that your cutting bit scores a ring onto and around the barrel, then you just keep turning it by hand and increasing the pressure against the barrel with the cutting bit until it finally cuts through the barrel. Similar to a copper tubing cutter (only better and more accurate).

It shouldn't take too very long to do that even by hand if its a thin shotgun barrel. Basically your lathe is acting like a common copper tubing cutter you would find at the hardware store, only more secure and accurate in cutting a perfect circle and not giving you a bad angle cut like some copper tubing cutters can easily mess up and do. By using the lathe but turning it manually by hand, you avoid the problem of the receiver and barrel being unbalanced (if the receiver is still attached to the barrel). If you don't have a lathe, any machine shop will have one.

Once your barrel is cut, you may have a little bit of metal around the edge of the cut that goes inward from the pressure of your cutting bit cutting the barrel. This can easily be filed smooth by keeping the barrel in the lathe, and turning the barrel as you have a file set securely into your cutting bit's base, so that the file smooths out the internal edge of the cut, then a little fine grit sandpaper will further smooth the edge of the cut barrel. Then if it's a carbon steel barrel, reblue the end edge of the barrel,....and you are done.

Hope this helped you.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; November 10, 2013 at 03:57 PM.

Page generated in 0.03100 seconds with 8 queries