View Single Post
Old January 31, 2006, 02:58 AM   #24
gac009

Well it all comes down to this for me, how sure are you that there is someone in your house?

It sounded to me like you were unsure and wanted to know a good way to investigate. Ofcouse if you KNOW for a fact that there is someone in your house you get your daugter in the masterbedroom with your wife and dog, she calls 911 and you guard the bedroom from a tactial vantage point.

In the end you have to make a judgement call, the initial inspection down the stairs is gathering intel, thats why you dont leave actually leave the stairs or take the dog. If you dont think that someone is in your house you investigate and secure the perimeter. If you decide that someone may very well be in your house then go into defensive mode and either you can secure a room (the bedroom) and call the police.

Basically.

1.) Hear noise/Dog alert.
2.) Gather intel, do you hear anything else, hows the dog reacting ect.
3.) Judgement Call
A.)Intruder- secure family in bedroom, call cops. Let the police know where in the house you are and that you are armed.
B.) Non Intruder - sweep the house, secure perimeter.

Another good back up plan would be to have, if possible, a planed/practiced route to exit the house that you can quickly secure. For me, if a buglar comes through the back window I go out the front door, and vice versa. I live in a first floor apt so thats easier for me but I would conider it just in case.

Page generated in 0.02716 seconds with 8 queries