View Single Post
Old October 22, 2013, 03:56 PM   #35
dakota.potts

Outside of limited demonstration purposes on public government property, I'm against open carry for demonstration purposes as well. My question is purely for the purposes of self defense. Not to walk into target with an AK 47 as was done with the recent "come and take it" protests in Texas.

I probably would also not carry in a high risk area. I live maybe 15 minutes from a pretty poor, high crime area right on the edge of historic Saint Augustine. I've lived here 7 years and have only found reason to go to that area maybe 3 or 4 times since I've lived here. I generally avoid it at all costs, especially any time after dusk. There are certain areas where we avoid wearing watches, rings, and other jewelry when we go as a matter of habit. The same precautions would be prudent for an openly carried firearm, I think. There are some places I have been in states like North Carolina where I wouldn't think much at all of a gun openly carried, but in Philadelphia I would think it was a terrible idea. Likewise, in my area, there are places where I would open carry if it were my only option, and places where I would rather make myself scarce and leave as quickly as possible.

Given the option between unlicensed open carry or unlicensed concealed carry, I would choose concealed carry as long as it had a reasonable accidental view cause like Florida has adopted.

However, from a regulatory point of view, if you can only license one, it makes more sense for the state to regulate concealed carry, making it a crime for those who want to keep their gun hidden without a license. Everybody else can wear their gun in the open where they can see it. That's probably what I would do if I were regulating from a state, not an individual point of view.

Am I making sense, or are we talking the same thing in different ways?

Page generated in 0.02072 seconds with 8 queries