View Single Post
Old April 25, 2005, 08:49 AM   #9
Thirties

Here is a message thread from THR I started on the same subject. There never was a definite resolution, but you may find value in reading through the many replies.

My guess is the stuck bullet came from a case that had been slightly damaged and then not well crimped, allowing the gas to escape. Contributing to this was the cold temperature at the time.

I have since fired over 40 rounds of the same 3.6g of W231 in the same gun with no problems. Only difference was a tighter roll crimp.

But I now also realize that 3.6g or 231 is too low for 125g plated Berry's bullets. I contacted them on the phone, and they recommend using low-mid power jacketed bullet data. I was using lead data.

I made the mistake of confusing two different plated bullet types:

NBC makes what they call "copperized" bullets which use lead data.

Berry and Rainier plated bullets are meant to use jacketed data, but just not top power jacketed bullet loads.

I had been loading lots of NBC, and only recently realized that Berry and Rainier plating required more powder. You only have to look at the two types to see the NBC is more of a wash. I still like and use the NBC. But now I'm loading the Berry/Rainier more heavily.

So, here's the tread, knock yourselves out.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=123695

By the way, the picture is not a fake. You can ask the folks at Pittsburgh Handgun Headquartes, they checked out my gun for me.

Page generated in 0.02918 seconds with 8 queries