Thread: AR issue
View Single Post
Old October 6, 2013, 06:20 PM   #17
WhyteP38

Quote:
While in a seated position, he placed the butt of the rifle against his chest and pulled the charging handle with both hands and back comes the charging handle, and out comes the unfired cartridge. So that problem is solved. Now although I haven't yet tried the suggestions posted, I did drop that same "stuck" cartridge into the open chamber afterwards, and it had a great little "plink" sound. I tilted the rifle upwards, and the cartridge slipped out of battery just fine.
How much force did he need to pull the charging handle back? Typical force, such as normally used for ejecting a live round? Extra force? If extra force, the round was jammed into the chamber.

Which leads me to your dropping of the round into the chamber. Did you simply drop it in, or did you try to close the bolt with the forward assist? I once had a round that loaded into the chamber, but the bolt couldn't close. After removing it the way you did, I dropped the round into the chamber. It seemed to go in just fine, but I couldn't close the bolt with the forward assist. Turned out, it was slightly bulged.

Also, when you originally said you pulled the trigger and nothing happened, did you mean the hammer didn't fall, or the hammer fell but the round didn't fire? What's the primer look like on the round you removed? Tiny dent from the floating firing pin? Or a big dent? A tiny dent could mean the round didn't chamber fully, indicating a case problem. A big dent could mean a bad primer.

Page generated in 0.02911 seconds with 8 queries