View Single Post
Old December 16, 2008, 04:37 AM   #85
106RR

Bug Out Bag

I would like to have a Ruger 22 auto with a polymer frame and the aftermarket aluminum barrel and receiver. I doubt that a long gun would would be practical without a vehicle. I live in earthquake country and the problem is that the bridges, freeway ramps, overpasses, tunnels go down and the road comes up. The traffic lights will be out and the phones inoperable for voice message. The cell phone with texting will work when all other forms of communication fail because the text messages go in a que to wait for the next available packet, whereas the voice system waits for a connection which will be timed out over and over until your battery fails. A windup radio
might get you the info on the location of the nearest (or best) survival shelter, the national guard water trailer or a road that's open. Some flares might be good to have as well.
I keep a multitool and a stainless razor sharp Mora sheath knife in each car along with water meds, walking shoes, a compass and maps a first aid kit, rations, two flashlights, spare batteries, warm clothes, a spare hat and if ti were legal a lightweight handgun and some ammo. There will be no appreciable police or fire dept response for at least three days. My actual BoB is a walk home bag or a hike to the emergency shelter bag.

Page generated in 0.03962 seconds with 8 queries