View Single Post
Old March 16, 2013, 10:43 PM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

Bob, I tried to avoid the confusion, by saying what I did, if it's available in .44mag, then the .45 version ought to be able to handle the .45 Win mag. Ruger names are a pain in the butt trying to keep straight in conversation.

I have "new model" (post 73) Blackhawks, & SuperBlackhawk. I have a few Vaqueros (now no longer made), and a "New Vaquero" (still in production).

I don't have personal experience with the flat tops, or anniversary models, know only that they do exist in two different frame sizes.

As I see it, the large frame guns could be converted to .45 Win mag. The medium frame guns should not be.

Seaman,
Quote:
Another path, take a 45 ACP S&W N-frame M22-4 and ream it out for 45WM?
I don't personally know that model. Several of the S&W .45acp guns have cylinders made for the short round, and the barrels protrude deeply into the frams because of it. If that is the case with the model you mention, it would take more work than just the cylinder. A lot more.

The .45 Win Mag was originally intended for the Wildey, but it showed up on the market well before the Widleys were ready. T/C chambered barrels, and eventually some other guns were made for the .45WM, the AutoMag IV, LAR Grizzly being the two I know of, besides the Wildey and T/C.

I do know some people did have the .45ACP cylinders of convertable Blackhawks cut for the WinMAg, and have been considering having that done to one of mine as well, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

The .45 WinMag is still "in production" by Winchester, but its "seasonal", meaning they only do a production run of ammo every few years. With the current demand for the common calibers, I wouldn't expect to see any new factory ammo any time soon.

Starline does produce brass, again, in limited lots, from time to time.

I've been "collecting" it for a while, and have enough to feed my stable, if I ever get around to loading it up.

Page generated in 0.03235 seconds with 8 queries