View Single Post
Old August 30, 2012, 11:34 PM   #3
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin-Nagant Nut
...I already own a rifle and am planning on buying another one, but I'm just paranoid that I might run in to some issues that might get me into some legal problems....
Welcome to TFL.

But I'm afraid that I have to tell you that you really need to contact a lawyer who is knowledgeable about federal and state gun laws, and not look for answers here from us anonymous folks on the Internet.

[1] If you are prohibited from buying a gun, you are already committing a federal felony by being in possession of a gun. That is a very serious matter.

[2] Figuring out whether or not you are prohibited will require a very detailed review of all the information you can obtain about your time in or being evaluated by a mental institution. Maybe you are or maybe you aren't prohibited, but the details matter. Someone who understands this stuff needs to see and read all the documents.

[3] Some folks here may be qualified to help you, but many really are not.

[4] Your talking with your lawyer is confidential. What you say here is not. It can be read by everyone in the world with an Internet connection.

[5] You should not be talking about serious, real life legal matters with strangers in public.

I'm going to leave this thread open temporarily ONLY for recommendations for the OP of lawyers in Maine who might be able to help him. Any other posts will be deleted, and this thread will be closed.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.02553 seconds with 8 queries