View Single Post
Old October 17, 2004, 07:19 AM   #3
Leftoverdj

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data cobbled up from experience and unsupported by any currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

The 1936 MAS is a relatively weak action with poor case head support. I had one for a while and used cases made from 6.5x55 Norma brass. It's important to use Norma or Lapua brass because the US made 6.5x55 is undersized in the base area even for 6.5s. It's way undersized for the MAS.

For loading data, I used starting loads for the .300 Savage with powders faster than 4350. I also stuck with bullets no heavier than 150 grains.

You should also be aware that the MAS will chamber and fire .308 Win. This is an extremely bad idea and how I got the rifle. The previous owner had been doing so and had even killed a deer with it. He brought it to me because the floorplate fell off with every shot. The reason the floorplate was falling off was because the case heads were expanding to the point that the primers would fall out and the escaping gases were venting through the magazine and blowing the floor plate off.

Page generated in 0.03586 seconds with 8 queries