Thread: Starting loads
View Single Post
Old January 5, 2015, 04:36 PM   #8
reynolds357

Bart, I agree that most factory ammo has a death grip on the bullet. I tried to pull down a box of Winchester .270 Win. ammo and it was impossible to pull using a kinetic bullet puller until I used a seating die to break the neck tension.

The thing I do not completely agree on is that the factories are running conservative on their loadings. Much of the premium factory hunting ammo sold today is screaming. Chronograph usually is higher than numbers on box. What strikes me as odd is that I consistently see pressure signs on factory ammo. I bought 4 boxes of 6.5 Creed just to play around with and get me some fire formed reloading brass in the process. The primers had definite pressure signs and all 80 pieces of brass wore a definite extractor mark after they were fired. I bought some factory .270WSM and had the same issues with the addition that I had to tap 4 out of 20 out of the chamber with a brass rod. Granted, my chamber is on the tight side, but the go gauge will just barely go.
None of the above Max loads I have loaded for the WSM have even begun to replicate the pressure signs of the factory ammo.

Page generated in 0.03429 seconds with 8 queries