View Single Post
Old July 16, 2013, 01:11 AM   #23
Bill Akins

Quote:
Hawg Haggen wrote:
Sharp's seems to be the exception to the rule on airspace

Bill Akins wrote:
Why is that?
You didn't answer my question on that Hawg.

Quote:
Hawg Haggen wrote:
I haven't found anything to form paper cartridges with

Bill Akins wrote:
Form nitrated paper around a wooden dowel.
Quote:
Hawg Haggen wrote in response:
First off I cant find a dowel the right size to have bullet and powder together. I could wrap the charge in a smaller or bigger cartridge but to me its kind of defeating the purpose. The charge and projectile are not both in the barrel. The bullet is seated to the first ring in the rifling and the rest sticks out into the chamber which is a lot bigger. Bore size is .544 and the chamber is around .580 or so.
I understand the situation exactly. But I don't understand what you meant when you said: "wrapping the charge in a smaller or bigger cartridge would be defeating the purpose".

Defeating the purpose of what? Since the front of the projectile is seated to the rifling but the rest of the rear of the projectile is sticking back into the chamber, then I see no reason why you couldn't glue the rear of the projectile to a paper tube that you formed to fit the chamber. Why can't you do that?

Quote:
Hawg Haggen wrote:
I've been loading 80 gains of loose powder and let the air space go hang.

Bill Akins wrote:
Is that safe to ignore air space behind the charge and projectile in a barrel?
If so, why?
You didn't answer that question Hawg.

Quote:
Hawg Haggen wrote:
I did my research first tho because I had the same questions.

Bill Akins wrote:
What did your research tell you regarding air space behind the charge and projectile in the barrel like that?
You didn't answer that question Hawg.

Quote:
Hawg Haggen wrote:
This is the main most reason you can't get rid of it. The breechblock has a built in airspace.

Bill Akins wrote:
You mean most people don't want it because of their concerns about an air space behind the charge and projectile in the barrel? Which begs the question of "why?" and if people are concerned about that, that goes back to my question of what did your research tell you about safety and overpressure concerns regarding said air space behind the charge and projectile?
Quote:
Hawg Haggen responded:
No I meant you cant get rid of the airspace. That's why I posted the pic of the breech block.
That's the only one of my questions that you even half answered, since you only answered the first half of that question and didn't answer the other half of that question nor any of the other questions I asked Hawg. Can you answer the other half of that question that asks what did your research show you about the safety and overpressure concerns regarding said airspace? I'm very interested in what your research taught you and what your research sources were, since I'm interested in overpressure research in BP firearms and would like to myself read those sources your researched. Also could you please answer the other questions I asked that you didn't answer please? Thanks.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; July 16, 2013 at 01:25 AM.

Page generated in 0.04206 seconds with 8 queries