View Single Post
Old April 15, 2011, 01:22 AM   #4
Dr. Strangelove

Two scenarios I've experienced:

I never wear plugs or muffs while deer hunting. Last year, I shot a deer with a 7mm Rem Magnum. I can recall every sound, every aspect of that hunt, the deer kicking in the leaves, the sight picture through the scope, everything... except the noise or recoil of the shot. A buddy about 100yds away nearly fell out of his stand, he said, it was so loud.

I heard the deer walk up, I remember aiming, where I aimed, squeezing the trigger, the deer falling and hearing it kicking, but I honestly can't say I remember the recoil or the noise of the shot. Or any of them, for that matter.

Years ago, my grandfather and I shot an 8mm Mauser in his basement with no hearing protection. My ears rang for hours afterward.

In an adrenaline charged encounter, or even just hunting, you're not going to be stunned to incapacity by the noise from a gunshot.

I would highly recommend against firing a gun in an closed space just for the experience. If you don't have to do it, don't.

Page generated in 0.03536 seconds with 8 queries