View Single Post
Old December 21, 2009, 07:19 PM   #21
Double Naught Spy

Right, and the thing that I see time and time again in these sorts of videos of regular people, bad guys, and trained professionals is that they often have the slowest response time during the Orient phase of the process.

You get people saying that they didn't think the gun/knife/weapon was real. You get people in a building that hear "firecrackers" and state that they thought it must be a prank because fireworks aren't allowed inside buildings. Their minds try to make sense out of the situation and fail to draw the proper conclusion that it is a worst case scenario. For many, it is an Occam's razor conclusion. The simplest explanation, the one requiring the least number of assumptions, is probably the correct one. These assumptions often involve anything other than the worst case scenarios. The only problem is that when it comes to immediate threat response, arriving at the wrong conclusion.

How many times have folks been at a gun show and had somebody ND. How many folks went for an exit or cover? When I have seen it happen, I have seen a lot of supposedly hard core condition yellow types stand still and stare like cattle in the direction of the shot. After all, nobody wants to overreact. A gun shot at a gun show is obviously a ND and not an act of aggression, right?

So some guy walks up to you with a gun and clicks it at you. What a moron with a toy gun. Who is this guy kidding?

Same sort of mentality. People just don't want to believe they are being endangered and would rather assume, even if not consciously, that the events unfolding before them are anything other than worst case.

Page generated in 0.03717 seconds with 8 queries