View Single Post
Old August 17, 2005, 11:30 PM   #8
culcune

Thanks, Erich

I used to live in the middle of the Navajo Nation in Arizona for 2 years where I worked as a teacher. My next-door neighbor was a Navajo Nation police officer who was also the district safety resource officer. I asked him about the open carry laws within the Reservation boundaries, and he told me that they followed AZ laws for firearms. I used to drive the two hours to Gallup to the Wal Mart because the roads were all (somewhat) paved in that direction, as opposed to the two hour drive to Flagstaff which took me over 20 miles of dirt road. (We lived pretty much 2 hours from any retail area) I carried my pistol in the car there, (to Gallup) and was never pulled over, but figured that the law was similar to AZ's. If I ever get the chance to go back to NM (I live way down south in Yuma, AZ) I will bring my firearm along armed (pun intended) with the knowledge that I can legally carry it in my vehicle.

Anyone who reads this and visits the Navajo Nation can legally carry a firearm, but from what I understood, only use it as a last resort. If a firearm is used on a reservation, the FBI will become involved. (I know, I know, the whole point of a firearm is a last resort defense tool by nature, but just keep this in mind). Perhaps Erich or another legal person can clarify this?

Page generated in 0.02941 seconds with 8 queries