View Single Post
Old September 23, 2012, 04:18 AM   #2
10-96

Welcome aboard Internetlad! Hope to see you stick around and enjoy the local TFL scenery.

I know Wyo is kind of a big place, but have you scouted around for State Rifle Associations, Clubs, etc? Just a quick peek turned up this: http://www.wwra.us/

As for your desire for a firearm. There is nothing at all wrong with going the used route, and lets face it- the less spent on the firearm allows more for instruction, ammo, cleaning supplies, etc- right? Places like J&G Sales and Buds Gun Shop have really good deals on used and/or Police turn in Smith & Wesson Model 10 .38 Special revolvers. Sounds old school? Learning the ways of any firearm is an art, and many of those tips and techniques will transfer over to other types of firearms. The .38 is still more than capable of putting food on the table (within reason) and defending your home. Plus, there's not many cartridges that are easier to learn reloading on when that time comes. Another plus for the Model 10- it's easy to learn on, for both you and your spouse. Going the "one size fits all" route isn't ideal for both you and your significant other, but it beats the heck out of shaking pointy sticks. Just have faith that times and your financial situation will get better sooner ruther than later.

A whole lot of folks recommend new handgun shooter start out with .22's- even I myself quite often. But I see here the value of good home defense measures in a home with no handgun, and I also see that you have shot before, I see that you're not a wet behind the ears kid, and I see you seem to have a level head if I may judge only by your post. To my knowledge, none of the military branches start new pistol shooters out on .22's- so it must not be total flawed logic that you could start out with something larger too.

I don't know prices for used firearms in your area, but here's a thought. If you wish to buy locally, give post a line about what you've found. I don't know how many active members are here at TFL, but I bet it won't take long at all to get some ver sound information to help guide you along. Folks here can offer all sorts of tips on what brands, styles, conditions, etc to look for and avoid.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.

Page generated in 0.02382 seconds with 8 queries