View Single Post
Old May 25, 2014, 05:48 PM   #12
5whiskey

Quote:
Practice easy and never get better. One must push themselves with regards to distance.
Couldn't have said it better. For most half day classes (think CCW courses), the max distance will likely be 7 yards... maybe 15. These classes aren't really meant to teach marksmanship, though. They're designed to teach you the laws regarding deadly force and to make sure you can draw and fire a gun safely and (mostly) competently. Competence is subjective. I learned how to shoot in a bullseye manner. It taught me alot of the basic fundamentals that you need to master before you can start doing failure to stop drills (2 chest 1 head) with any amount of speed.

For me... I don't practice much further than 25 or 30 yards but a ton of my practice is at that distance. There are two ways to test your skill... add distance or increase speed. I focus on the latter more in training, but I don't sandbag by doing "kinda fast" failure to stop drills at 5 yards. I'm doing them with some speed at 15 and 20 yards. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. You crawl, walk, and then run. We all (I hope) know this. I do think alot of shooters, however, learn to crawl, get competent at walking, but never try to run. There's a lot of value to practicing at 25+ yards, along with shooting while moving, doing remmedial action drills, shooting two targets limited engagement time (keep cutting the time down until you're not making hits every time), etc.

Last edited by 5whiskey; May 25, 2014 at 10:04 PM.

Page generated in 0.03316 seconds with 8 queries