View Single Post
Old August 25, 2013, 07:20 AM   #6
lockedcj7

I also think it's important to provide a counter argument that is based on facts, statistics and logic. I recently had a heated discussion with a family member who stood in my living room and loudly announced that assault weapons should be banned and that nobody had any business owning one. I asked her why she felt that way and it was on like Donkey-Kong. Every point she made was based on misinformation, misconception, emotion, fear and ad hominem attacks.

I'm especially interested in the topics of arming teachers so that's what I've been reading a lot about lately.

The reasons for not allowing armed, trained staff are hollow at best and there are easy solutions to all of them. The convenience of responding officers and shooter ID issues are easily solved. The shooting will likely be long over by the time law enforcement arrives and the staff will have made their weapons safe. If not, the armed staff should be trained to drop their weapon and lay down like everybody else when LEOs enter the building. The armed staff will be the adults in dress clothes and the shooter will be the guy dressed in all black, a tactical vest, carrying a backpack and RANDOMLY SHOOTING PEOPLE. The armed staff will be moving like they have some training and carrying their weapons safely.

Children could be hit in a crossfire but their injuries are much less likely to be fatal than if they were deliberately shot in the head by a madman. Even when the police accidentally hit people, the bystanders are rarely killed. Would you rather have a body count of 2 or 22?

"What if a kid gets hold of a gun?" Simply require teacher to keep the weapon in a retention holster, completely hidden in a smart-carry holster or locked up. They could even be required to keep it in condition 3, (loaded magazine inserted, chamber empty).

"What if a teacher just snaps?" When was the last time you heard of a teacher slapping a student or stabbing one with a pencil or pair of scissors? Why would it be more likely that s/he would draw their weapon?

I'm not in favor of just allowing any teacher or staff with a CWP to carry in schools but all of the issues raised can be overcome with equipment, training and coordination.

Page generated in 0.02791 seconds with 8 queries