View Single Post
Old November 27, 1999, 03:25 PM   #4
cornered rat

I shot my P14 again this week. The report was less loud to me than .223 with Guatemalan surplus ammo.

I shot some 1941 cordite British surplus and though shoulders of some were eroded, it worked fine. However, I let a friend try ten rounds and he reported two hangfires (I wasn't around to see them).

Accuracy with Greek non-corrosive, British and S&B was all the same (at 25m)...about half of the groups I got with HBAR15. Could be a difference of finer front sight posts).

Just yesterday, I tried a fully stocked original P17 (mine is a sporter with a free-floated barrel) and it was fun. In spite of steel butt plate, recoil wasn't hard and accuracy...at 50ft, one hole, at 75ft, sill touching. Sweet! Hardly any muzzle flash on either 303 or 30-06 and not that much noise.

Also tried a German Mauser from 1891. It was sporterized well but left in a damp basement for a decade. Argentinian 7.65 ammo keyholed at 7 yards, badly. Soft point hunting ammo (Norma) worked fine. What gives? Damaged barrel crown? I also suspect that the scope reticles shifted on recoil...my POI were within two feet from each other!

Tried other neat items (full auto Bushmaster conversion, HK MP5, scoped 77-22mag (want one!)), full report forthcoming. Ran into some folks who will teach me to shoot better come spring...the local high power competitors.

Page generated in 0.02130 seconds with 8 queries