View Single Post
Old March 4, 2014, 04:05 PM   #21
davem

If the question thing is OKAY then why did the Constitution have to include that Congress shall have the power to take a census? It had to be in the Constitution because otherwise the citizen could tell the government it is none of their business how many people dwell at a certain residence. Now that is not a crimminal situation yet it still had to be included in the Constitution. In the kind of country I want to live in the government can't go around asking you questions without cause.
Let's say you are on a jury call and in seating the jury in a drunk driving case one lawyer asks a potential juror if they have ever been arrested for drunk driving- fine, fair question.
What about, Are you a Jew?
Are you gay?
What's that have to do with a case involving a drunk driver?
What if the party entrusted with calling jurors says, "oh I just want to know who is a Jew, or gay, or owns a gun IN CASE we have a trial where that might be relevant". Does that make the questions okay?
This is how I see it, it is not up to a court to ask such questions in choosing jurors, jurors ought to picked at ramdon. It is up to the two lawyers to opt for their allotted rejections, etc.
AND, as I said. No one complains any more. What I say isn't the way it works these days- I'm aware of that. I was on a drunk drinking case a few years ago and the judge gave his final instructions to the jury as to what evidence we could or could not consider, on what points we had to base our decision, etc. When we got into the jury room most of us (myself included- I'm ashamed to admit) just started doing as instructed. An elderly man, of minority race, piped up and put our minds right. "We are the JURY we can do anything we want to do". Amen. It took a person of minority race to get my mind right- thank you.
I'm not kidding on the ACLU- I know they are liberal and such but I'd run the thing by them and ask them if questions on gun ownership are okay. If such questions are okay today then what will be okay in the future? I'm no lawyer but it certainly seems wrong to me.

Page generated in 0.02764 seconds with 8 queries