View Single Post
Old May 2, 2001, 08:04 PM   #25
jdthaddeus

10mm is an outstanding cartridge. I am a big fan of it. In fact, if I had not discovered the .45 Super (and the forthcoming .45 SMC) I would still be a big fan. But now I got a Glock 21 with a 5 inch barrel and I can reload .45 Super with the same dies and setup as I reload for my .45 acp 1911. Ever since, I just lost interest in 10mm and sold my G20 setup to a friend, along with the reloading components. He is very happy. He is in law enforcement and will carry it on duty. It will serve him well.
I find the .45 Super design to be much more versatile in that I can revert to .45 acp if I wish, for cheap and available factory ammo, and I can reload a variety of powers and loads with one setup on my press.

I do agree though that the 10mm is very underrated and a most excellent design.

If I had were dropped off in the middle of a war zone or outback with only one production semi-auto pistol, I would pick a full capacity Glock 20 without a second guess. I would bet that many other people on this forum would choose the same.

Ted Nugent dropped an African Warthog at 110 paces using a 135 gr Corbon 10mm from his Glock 20. He said it was his last day on safari and he was out on a stroll saying "goodbye" to Africa and looking at the morning birds while sipping coffe. He saw the Warthog and he took it with his sidearm. He makes a habit of going nowhere in African without his Glock 20 (and since he was not planning on hunting but just using it for defense, I am not sure if he had the 6 inch barrel in it or not). The round exited the huge tough animal! That surprised me that that light load would go through. It also somewhat surprised me that the 10mm dropped a huge tough African beast with one shot. The 10mm is no bullet to be trifled with. It can be loaded up (deep penetration) for hunting and loaded "light" (less penetration) for human defense.

Regarding Black bears, just FYI two Forest Rangers recently hunted down and killed a momma bear and her large cub, and they did it with their issue 9mm handguns. So, I suspect a 10mm with about twice the power would do the job okay, although any sane person would of course prefer a 12 gauge slug gun if given the option of carrying something that big.

It seems that Ted Nugent probably knows a lot more about wild animals and such than I do, and he relies on a Glock 20 for defense in Africa. I think that says something.

Page generated in 0.02987 seconds with 8 queries