View Single Post
Old October 16, 2002, 02:19 PM   #4
john kilgore

In 9mm, the Camp carbine responds better to lighter bullet weights and slower powders.
Some time back, American Rifleman ran a test and used 90, 115, 115+P, 124, 124+p, and 147gr bullets in factory offerings.
Test was run also in comparison to 4" bbl. pistol.
All velocities were higher in rifle than pistol except w/147gr.
Velocities with 147gr loads were a tad lower from rifle due barrel friction after pressure peak. (very small powder charges w/147gr bullet due to small volumn of case with longer/heavier bullet)
Biggest gains were with +P loadings and lightest bullets -hence highest powder charge weights and slowest burning rates.
BlueDot, AA-#7, and perhaps Hodgdon 'Longshot' will give greatest velocity gains, and 124gr bullet will give highest energies.

But; overall, you won't see dramatic increases.
I would try the 124gr w/BlueDot for greatest benefit. Remember, max charge weights are not due to firearm strength/design, but due to cartridge case and primer limitations.

Don't exceed the published data. In 9mm, .40S&W, 10mm -you do so at your own peril, and maybe that of others nearby as well !!
(I've had "blown primers, and cases with loads well below published maximums with these three cartridges, but none resulted in gun or bodily damage- except for magazine base plates blown off!)

Steve's "pages" are the best compilation of data I've seen. Most of it is directly from the manufacturer's data. Its all from handguns though, I don't know of any data from carbines except for Accurate Arms that lists a few.

The 9mm is a very efficient handgun cartridge, so most loadings will give only a 10-15% increase in velocity in the Carbine.
And with heaviest bullets (147gr and up) will actually show a decrease in velocities/energy.

Page generated in 0.02365 seconds with 8 queries