View Single Post
Old June 3, 2013, 01:44 AM   #24
Lost Sheep

Check with your local police department to see where they buy their practice ammo. Local (insured and licensed) loaders often do not advertise, as they have enough business simply by word of mouth.

As far as reloading at your friend's house is concerned, that seems like it might be a workable solution. But loading for someone else is generally a bad idea until you are expert enough to be certain that you will have zero defects. Damaging a friend's gun (or a friend) is a severe way to learn a lesson. I suggest you learn together and each load your own.

I disagree with kilamanjaro's advice about a progressive. 200 rounds a week is well within the capability of an autoindexing turret press. When I started loading, I used a single stage and was satisfied with 50 rounds per hour. Ultimately I tried a progressive for a number of years and found that monitoring multiple simultaneous operations drove me crazy. My turret press can do 200 rounds in 90 minutes, including setup and teardown.

I keep all my loading gear (to do 7 calibers) in three toolboxes, the largest of which is 23"x10"x10". (Excluding a case-cleaning tumbler and the folding workbench on which I mount the press and components)

If your friend has a similar impediment to loading, loading at the range might be possible. Or, as you have determined, simply waiting is an option and 22 rimfire is a great way to practice.

In the meantime, I will post some links to some reading to give you food for thought.

Lost Sheep

Page generated in 0.02486 seconds with 8 queries