View Single Post
Old February 7, 2009, 11:38 AM   #1
Zak77

Cheap Tack Driving 308, Rem 700 SPS Tactical

I had always wanted a rifle in 308 as I've fired 30-06 most of my life in CMP matches, either an M1 or 1903. Finally picked up a 308 last spring, a Remington 700 SPS Tactical. I must say, Remington did an amazing job with this setup, for $500 it is an incredible tack driver.

All that I have done to it is place a Super Sniper 14x scope, some cheap Weaver Tactical scope mounts and 1 piece base.

Out of the box it was shooting a bit less than 1/2" groups at 100yds once in a while producing .35 to .4" groups.

I recently starting reloading and produced some amazing results. Per my measly budget, I bought a Lee Classic kit along with the Lee Neck sizing dies. I really wanted to use 168gr BTHP with IMR 4064 but my local store was out of 168's and I picked up 180gr match bthp. Took a while to find a good load as groups were all over the place from over 1" to finally this group below. I was able to get 2 groups of approx the same size with this one being the best.

Sierra 180gr BTHP
42.0 gr IMR 4064
Federal 210 Primers
Center to Center: .227"

Fired from front sand bags only. I have not built a rear sand sock. After I get a rear sand sock i'm sure the groups will get a little smaller. Terrible picture as it was taken from my cell phone.

Every time I take the Rem700 out I continued to be impressed with this relatively cheap tack driver. It will outshoot rifles MUCH more expensive that it.

Eventually I'd like to replace the stock as it's a bit cheap and will not hold a duracoat finish. Add a harris bipod and a nice sling and it's set. Highly recommended.

Page generated in 0.03458 seconds with 8 queries