View Single Post
Old May 12, 2009, 04:53 PM   #2
xsquidgator

copy/paste into emails, if desired

If it will help, here's the message I sent which you're welcome to copy and paste into an email:
Quote:
Dear Governor Crist,
I was just informed by the Unified Sportsmen of Florida that the legislature is attempting to "sweep" $6 Million from the fund specifically set up to administer Florida's concealed weapons and firearms licensing program. This deeply concerns me, as even the fully-funded program has not been able to satisfactorily process all of the applications and renewal requests for Florida concealed weapon permits. I can only imagine how slowly and unreliably the program will run if the legislature succeeds in diverting money paid specifically for this purpose, towards other purposes. I am especially concerned since as someone who has had a Florida concealed weapons permit for some time, and have renewed it, that I have paid into this fund which has proven to be too tempting for the Florida legislature to keep from trying to take it for their own purposes.
PLEASE veto this $6M trust fund sweep from the Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services Division of Licensing authorized under Section 59 of the Conference Report of SB-2600.

Sincerely,
and a slightly differently worded one that one of my friends sent:
Quote:
Dear Governor Crist,

I write to urge you to veto the pending bill that would raid the Department of Agriculture's concealed weapons licensing trust fund. It is my understandng that after the 2008 general election, concealed weapon permit license applications increased to such a level that the Department of Agriculture had to hire OPS staff to increase the department's ability to process applications in a timely manner, specifically within the 90 days prescribed by law.

Aside from the operational hardship the loss of the trust fund would cause, politically speaking there is a larger issue in that voters like me will view your approval of this raid as a clear signal that the interest of law abiding citizens of Florida is not important to you. These people are voters who will remember your actions during your next election whether it is for governor, senator, or any other office.

As a lifelong government employee I know there are other ways to meet your budget shortfall. There are other programs that can be cut by a few hundred thousand dollars here and there, and by scrutinizing such programs you could match the $6M concealed wepaon licensing trust fund in short order without burning your bridges with Second Amendment voters like me.

Please do the right thing!

Respectfully,

Page generated in 0.03616 seconds with 8 queries