View Single Post
Old November 1, 2010, 06:30 PM   #6
Scorch

Quote:
What exactly is it that is wore to make my barrel out of adjustment?
The Remington Model 10 (like the Winchester Model 12) is from the heyday of takedown firearms. It was designed for black powder/black powder equivalent pressures, and like many of those old shotguns it has been "shot loose". This happens because the bolt locks into the receiver for firing, but the shell headspaces on the mouth of the chamber, which is part of the barrel. This causes the two assemblies to try to force themselves apart when the gun fires. These parts are not very hard, and are pretty plain steel, so they wear and deform when the gun is fired. Not really an issue with black powder, but smokeless powder loads have steadily increased in pressure and velocity over the past 75 years. The slight hadspace built into the cartridges allows the action to cycle freely when operated, but it gives the barrel assembly a "running start" so to speak when the gun is fired. Even a couple of thousandths of an inch can batter the threads on the headspace adjustment ring and receiver within just a few rounds, especially when firing 2-3/4" magnums.
Quote:
im just looking for a fun gun to shoot at the range and the model 10 is a very unique gun, along with me having received the gun from a family member.
My friend's Mod 10 is the same way, it was Grampa's shotgun, and sat around in a closet for 40 years because the stock was damaged, and he just wants to hunt with it a few times for memories' sake. I would never recommend extended use of it as a hunting shotgun, though. If you are looking for an ongoing project, you have it. It will break, wear out parts, and bind up for no apparent reason as it wears further. My advice is pretty monotonous: put it back in working order if you like, and retire it while it still works.

Page generated in 0.02423 seconds with 8 queries