View Single Post
Old June 25, 2009, 06:13 PM   #62
ImprobableJoe

Quote:
I did notice one major difference between the earlier report on the left, and the one on the right that the current administration issued. The earlier report was quite specific about which leftists groups were considered dangerous, often naming them. The current administration's report on the right uses such a broad brush to define potential right-wing extremists that as much as one-third of the adult population could be construed to be in that category. To me, it looks like an attempt to intimidate political opponents of current policies. "Don't be too vocal, or you will end up on a list." Even if that was not the intent, their definitions could easliy have a chilling effect on political opposition.
Did you read the report? I don't read it the way you do. It doesn't single out tens of millions of people, which is a ridiculous claim on your part. Take a look:

http://www.fas.org/irp/eprint/rightwing.pdf

Page 3 seems to specifically define the threat as "white supremacist and violent antigovernment groups" and NOT mainstream Republicans. Further, it identifies the thread of "lone wolf" terrorists outside of any specific group. The report says that the threat comes from small groups and "lone wolves" and not "as much as one-third of the adult population" as you claim. The report also distinguishes between right-wing extremists and law-abiding citizens in a very explicit way.

BTW, it is dishonest to describe either report as belonging to "this administration" since bother were commissioned by and rely on data gathered by the BUSH administration. Get a grip!

Page generated in 0.02451 seconds with 8 queries