View Single Post
Old July 7, 2014, 05:21 AM   #6
rfd

i've posted about this here before, in another thread ...

i contacted boyds over 3 weeks ago and they are working on a ruger american centerfire rifle replacement stock. they say it will be ready by the end of this month (but i doubt it), and they're not offering up any details about it, nor how they'll care for the "V" blocks or replacement for the integral plastic trigger guard. there is no mention of the ruger american predator, with its slightly heavier barrel.

fwiw, the problem with most plastic stocks is that they're not stiff enough, particuarly in the fore end, and most need help with floating the barrel (even though they claim the barrel is floated, some just aren't). both can easily be remedied for the RAR.

first, make sure the barrel more than clears the stock. i used 50 grit abrasive paper around different dowel diameters. pay particular attention to the end of the fore stock - you want the barrel to fully clear any plastic, all the way back to the barrel nut (action). the plastic is quite pliable and doesn't sand as well as wood, but keep at it. some folks use a dremel, and screw up the stock because the dremel wanders - but sandpaper on a dowel is more precise, but much slower going with the rubbery plastic.

make the fore stock really stiff so it won't bend and touch the barrel. i used rockite to stiffen my RAR's fore end and add weight to the butt stock. rockite is a type of cement powder that will harden like a, well, rock, inside of 15 minutes. mix it to the consistency of a watery syrup and pour it in. there's a you tube vid of the process on an RAR stock ...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=suh0feCDaHA

here's my RAR with rockite in the fore and butt stock areas, added about 2# total. most of the weight is in the butt stock and can be controled by adding more air tubes or other lightweight material so that less rockite is used ...

don't look any different, but it's a totally different shooting rifle, for the better ...

Page generated in 0.03186 seconds with 8 queries