View Single Post
Old June 22, 2008, 11:50 AM   #19
JAXX

You guys are all missing the point here. It's not that I don't "like" the ideas being suggested, it's that I think they're all all pretty futile for security purposes. Except for the poster talking about block walls of course. The OP mentioned that this home will be constructed out of 4x4 on 18" centers. What I am saying is that with that type of framing, in my opinion, one would be wasting their time worrying about putting tiny windows up high in the walls to avoid someone breaking in. And still, I think the best way to protect valuables is a good safe. A BIG one that nobody can carry off with a good fire rating. I am a general contractor and am just trying to point out facts, not trying to brag or pee in anybodys cheerios here.

Quote:
And making your outer walls structural as opposed to simply Tyvex with siding on the outside also helps. A lot.
I don't know what type of construction you have done with daddy for 30 years, but all exterior walls in residential construction are structural. At least they are required to be by the uniform building code . Also, that extra layer of OSB or plywood or whatever is being used for the shear strength really doesn't slow someone down very much when they commit to opening up your wall with a saw

If you want to make your home truly secure, then pour the walls in place out of concrete. That is your best bet. That's why they make bank vaults that way. And yeah, I've had to rip those apart too.

Page generated in 0.03189 seconds with 8 queries