View Single Post
Old March 23, 2009, 09:37 PM   #1
Narcoleptic Warrior

Self Taught Training

Where I live, (in SE Asia) professionally taught pistol combat classes are very expensive. They go for about US$2000/head and are taught by ex-SEALs/Green Berets or former LEO trainers brought in from the US. While my country's unformed agencies can afford to send their personnel for such training, I cannot personally afford the cost.

Hence, I am limited to spending time at the range on my own shooting my personal pistols at static targets and perfecting my marksmanship. While my shooting in the standing unsupported weaver stance position at the 15 and 25meter ranges (4" and 6" grouping respectively) is now pretty okay (after 3 1/2 years of frequent practice), I find myself frequently lapsing into the "slow, deliberate precision fire" mode. I feel that I'm always training for marksmanship rather than self preservation.

Can anyone suggest training drills that I can do on my own that will make me a better self protection shooter? How do I do double taps with a K-frame .38 revolver or a .380 pistol possessing very SNAPPY recoil?
Whilst still in teacher training college some years back, a lecturer said that we would "sometimes be a sage on a stage and other times be a guide by the side". Now that I know how much cr#% is present within the school system, I'd rather be "a bum on the beach with a beer within easy reach".

Page generated in 0.03527 seconds with 8 queries