View Single Post
Old December 1, 1998, 10:49 PM   #8
Michael Carlin

The AR15 series rifle has certainly made a convert of me. Entered the Army late in 1970. At Ft. Leonard Wood the Drills were (for the most part) extremely professional, and they insisted that the M16A1 was the "finest military rifle ever made". This was "good training" but I had my doubts.

The 'hood back on the block was rife with horror stories of the fielding of the rifle in "da Nam" man!. When I graduated from high school ('68) I had had older friends come back to the world tell me otherwise.

Today the M16A2 is a fine, fine rifle, with the 69 and 77 grain bullets we are shooting scores in the 490s in the NMC (I am not, but that is not the rifles fault! I managed a 451 leg match score at Bridgeville DE this last year when I finally began to develop a decent understanding of positions and zeros for varying conditions).

At the National Matches I had the honor of scoring Jore Bartoli and Jim Ward, juniors from California. Those two young men shot in the mid 480s! That is really something, a .223 shooting 200 300 and 600 yards with 40% of the match at 600 and turning in scores in the 485-490 range.

Not only are more people putting together their own black rifles, but if they use good barrels and are reasonably careful the guns will nearly uniformly shoot. It is common to see the rifles with rack parts turn in 2 minutes of angle. With match barrels MOA is pretty much a given!

I have been in the Army for 27 years of the last 30 years, nearly ten as a drilling reservist, and just over 17 now full time. I did not really like the rifle until the M16A2 was fielded.

Please see my article at:
http://www.1bigred.com/distinguished/
blackrfl.html

It will explain in some detail how hard a "sell" I was and the range experience that converted me.

Yes, there are lots of good rifles in the history of mankind, and I think the AR has finally earned its place among those venerated fusils.

For those who prefer a bigger caliber I am inclined to agree, but as long as I have to carry what Uncle buys me, I am pleased with the current rifle. Very pleased.

Yours in Marksmanship

michael

Page generated in 0.02236 seconds with 8 queries