View Single Post
Old January 27, 2010, 08:18 AM   #23
GUNSITE

Quote...

Last Friday I was walking my dog in our neighborhood. As I approached the end of the street I noticed two rottweilers between two houses. They barked, but it appeared they were in a fenced backed yard. I then noticed that one of the dogs was outside the fence. It also appeared that the dog had on a red invisible fence type collar. (I have that system - so I thought no problem) I decided to turn around at that point and not go any closer to that yard. At that moment the dog that was loose started approaching quickly and came into the street. I stood still and faced the dog. My dog rolled over in a submissive position and the Rott came over without hesitation and grabed him by the throat. I reached down and pulled the Rott off but it was maintaining an aggressive stance. At that point a utility guy came out with some pepper spray and sprayed the dog.

I was carrying at the time - under a heavy coat - without one in the tube.
I would have had to drop the leash to get my gun out and then would have had to rack the slide which would have taken more time. If the other guy had not sprayed the dog - those seconds of delay could have resulted in the death of my dog or me being attacked by the dog.

Additionally, it is a reason to get additional training because your mind really does go blank in those situations without proper training.

Bottom line: Training, training, training and you don't have time to rack the slide in a situation that happens without warning.
End Quote

I don't advocate carrying a non-chambered weapon... Its not for everyone, advance training, or a higher level of training will incorporate one hand load and rack tactics, making your situation just a tactical adjustment with fluid motion.

Spend a couple a days of training at a outside range with your weak arm tide/cuffed to your belt behind your back while drawing, moving, shooting, and reloading.... with a qualified knowledgeable instructor.

In your particular situation as you describe, i rather have an umbrella than a gun, i've seen trained police/attack dogs not able to penetrate, spooked, and stopped by a open umbrella, its legal to carry, and no legalities when deployed and/or if the trigger is pulled.... lol... but true.

Page generated in 0.02530 seconds with 8 queries