View Single Post
Old April 9, 2012, 02:59 PM   #10
BigJimP

I second Dave's mention of a 28ga...

I have two guns that I start most of the younger shooters in my family on:

Benelli supersport model ..semi-auto in 20ga, very light gun at 6.2 lbs ...and even though its an Inertia gun ( vs gas operated ) it has Benelli's comfort tech system in it ...making it shoot pretty soft. The plus side is the weight at around 6 lbs...and with lighter loads -that I reload in a 20ga 7/8 oz at 1200 fps ...it cycles them just fine. About 75% of the time ...it'll cycle 7/8 oz loads at 1150 fps .../ and with Trap that's fine...or with new shooters just shooting singles. New its a relatively expensive semi-auto at $ 1,875 or so in my area today.

A Browning O/U in 28ga ...its a 7.5 lb gun ...but if they have the upper body strength to swing it ....balistically its a good option. I reload for it ..so cost is no factor. Most 28ga guns are a little pricier...this is a gun I use myself for sporting clays, some quail, some skeet, etc... its not a great "youth" gun ...but there are some less expensive 28ga guns out there ...some used Rem 1187's --- Browning BPS hunter model comes in a 28ga ...etc...

I don't think there are any new 28ga semi-autos out there right now...

But if she's just getting started ...borrowing / or renting a gun is a much smarter choice anyway ...unless you're just looking for an excuse to buy another gun ..and letting her use it ...

Page generated in 0.05151 seconds with 8 queries