View Single Post
Old September 28, 2006, 12:56 PM   #1
FS2K

I want to learn some stuff...from YOU.

From reading the posts here I have realized the value of opposing opinions and different training methods. It's cool, because I get to hear reasoning behind certain things that other people do, and I don't.

There are a lot of different ideaologies about training and tactics here, and I kinda came to realize that keeping an open mind about stuff can really be a benefit.

I mentioned that I practice point shooting. I was then informed that I am part of a minority on this. LOL! It's ok...but it got me to thinking that maybe I have been doing something wrong all this time. To tell you the truth, it bummed me out a little, and then I really thought about it and came to the conclusion that what I do really doesn't matter as long as it works for me. I went out and tried focusing on the front sight in relation to the target but I suppose old habits are hard to break as I resorted into shooting like I normally do before the first magazine ran out.

I came to a conclusion. Training and practice engrain actions into your mind and no matter what you may try in practice, unless you condition yourself to do it, you will always resort back to what you 'know'...especially in a high stress situation. Bad habits or good, right or wrong you will always fall back on instinct.

When learning to incooperate new stuff I always remember the motto:

"Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast".

Everytime I get a new weapon, I go through a familiarizing period. That's pretty much one of the biggest reasons I still carry a G26 when working late instead of my new XD45. I know, it's just another gun, but I regard familiarity one of the most important things, and until the XD45 ceases to be "the New Gun" I refuse to rely on it.

I know that statistically the chances of me getting into trouble are slim, extremely slim though I like to be prepared for anything. I questioned myself as to WHY I had this need to be prepared once. I've concluded that I am not obsessive about it, just conditioned to do it. I'm not afraid to die, (long story but I don't) and it isn't a macho thing with me either. I have nothing to proove to anyone. I figured what it is, is I can't stand the idea of being a victim. I refuse to allow myself to get into a situation in which I don't have a fighting chance to survive. Maybe 'survive' is the wrong word. It's not really about my survival at all, cause I know that when my number is up there's nothing I can do to change that. It isn't even about the other guy or guys involved cuz I doubt I will know them. It's the idea of some punk getting the upper hand on me, and the fact that IF it were to happen and I was not prepared ALL of the blame falls on me. LOL!

Silly, I know.

I have learned alot from reading the posts here. I don't agree with everything I read, and I will always regard experience more valuable that repeated statistics and reports. But this forum does allow me to think about alot of things and how these new thoughts or theories could be incooperated into my own "style". I will call it style because it's basically what it is. I don't believe any one system to be the absolute end all truth, nor do I aspire to become a carbon copy of any instructure out there. I take what I can use and blend it with what I know, and in the end what remains is a personal style.

Anyhow, keep up the great posts people, I thank you for all of the thought provoking information. I'll continue reading and learning from you all.

Page generated in 0.03269 seconds with 8 queries