View Single Post
Old February 28, 2008, 12:44 PM   #1
bapfreak

First muzzleloader for long time shooter

I am a long time shooter and have shot a variety of firearms in almost all genres, except muzzleloaders. I really want to give it a shot, but I don't have a terrible lot of money to spend. I was looking at the Thompson Center Triumph, but the price tag is a little too high. I am looking for a rifle around, preferably under, $300 ( for the rifle only ). This rifle will be used mostly for plinking and informal target shooting. I might go deer hunting with it also, but the annoying thing is in Nevada you aren't allowed to have a scope on a black powder gun for hunting ( strange ). I don't really want to deal with a flintlock as I have heard many issues with reliability and accuracy ( did I hear wrong? ). The classic and modern feels both appeal to me; I especially like the black powder rifles that mix new looks with old looks ( like Traditions Deerhunter ). The ignition system doesn't matter terribly a lot to me as all are legal in my state. I am planning on using loose powder unless hunting. I will probably shoot mostly ball rounds when practicing, as it saves tons of money. Stainless steel ( or equivalent level of rust protection ) with fiber optic sights are a must for me. 50cal is what I am looking at. Accuracy and function are, of course, to the upmost importance to me.

Here are some of the guns I am considering:

New England Sidekick Stainless: My main concern with this gun is that it is no longer being made; consequently, I fear that NEF might stop making primer holders for the rifle. My first shotgun was a NEF Pardner Single Shot and I enjoyed it fully.

Knight Pull-Action: I like this rifle because it can use 209, musket cap, or #11 cap. If I were to ever move, I wouldn't need to worry about the legality of this rifle. My concern on this gun would be the difficulty in cleaning. I have heard that Knight rifles are amazingly accurate, is that true?

Traditions Deerhunter Percussion: I really like the looks of this gun. I was at Sportsmen's Warehouse last week and handled a newer model with a slightly bluish laminate stock with stainless steel. It felt awesome and it looked awesome. My concern on this one is the reliability of the ignition and the accuracy of it. I asked the guy at the counter if it was accurate and he gave a general answer that all the black powder rifles they stock are accurate ( yeah right ). I do like the mesh of old and new looks with this one. Probably hard to clean? If this one is accurate and reliable, I might just go with it. I might consider the flintlock version, if it is reliable.

Traditions 209 Tracker: This one looks butt ugly, but the price is right. I am concerned with every aspect of this rifle ( ease of cleaning, accuracy, reliability, etc. ). The one plus I give it is the stainless steel and synthetic stock. I have seen pictures on the internet of these rusted, which scares me. I do take really good care of all my firearms and clean them throughouly.

Traditions Purist Pro: Break actions are always nice in my opinion, if they work well. Don't know what to think about this rifle.

Traditions Evolution: Bolt actions are always good, but does that really matter in a black powder firearm? Is this gun really "long range accurate" as the site says? I heard the bolt on this gun is horrible, is that true?

CVA Optima Pro: Heard some good things on this rifle, but mostly bad things. I heard that some of the CVA guns have ruptured under normal loads, is that true?

CVA Buckhorn: Cheap plunger gun. Any good?

Drop actions, for some reason, don't appeal to me. Neither do the flip style, like the Remmington Genesis.

Recreations, like a Kentucky or Hawken, mildly interest me, but they are usually more expensive than the modern rifles anyways. Plus they aren't stainless steel. But, if any of you think that a Hawken or Kentucky replica is accurate, reliable, and worth looking at, I will give it a shot. I do smile when I look at the ridiculously long rifle replicas, I don't know why.

Are the older style rifles less accurate and harder to clean?

Any, worthwhile, suggestions will be greatly appreciate. Except for spend more.

Page generated in 0.02290 seconds with 8 queries