View Single Post
Old January 12, 2014, 01:08 AM   #6
5whiskey

Quote:
Should I even worry about cleaning it off? Is it odd that the rifle is brand new and has a lot of build up so soon?
I always clean what I can off... but if you're trying to get it all off then you'll be there for a while.

Quote:
its worth the trouble if the alternative is "DROP and give me 50 MAGGOT!", and then, clean it anyway.
Been there and done that, sir. One of the biggest reasons I don't stress over it now is because I was forced to stress over it at one point . At any rate, I'm pretty anal about keeping my guns clean (not really in the "over-cleaning" wears em' out faster camp) and I'm a believer in cleaning the loose crud out of this area but I repeat that I wouldn't worry about trying to get all of the baked-on carbon off of the rear of the bolt. For one, it doesn't affect anything. Heck, it doesn't even dirty anything. After you've cleaned all the loose crud off the bolt you can white glove it around the back and barely see anything on the glove. You know it's there, though, if you look at the bolt through good light. I just let that be as it's more trouble than it's worth. I tried to get it off (for a change) of the last new AR I bought after the first range trip. Nearly an hour with a bronze brush didn't do it. Out comes steel wool. A few minutes with the steel wool and I decide that I'm done. The only quick way to get it off is to scratch it off with a knife (what I did when I was in the Marine Corps). I don't care to do that to my guns, so the baked on stuff stays.

Page generated in 0.02888 seconds with 8 queries