Thread: cast bullets
View Single Post
Old April 22, 2008, 08:14 AM   #10
freakshow10mm

Casting for yourself is fun. It's when you cast for others when it looses a bit of its flair. It still is fun, it's something I enjoy doing (nothing like Metallica played real loud and molten lead!).

The money savings is quite a reality. Being able to cast 1000 bullets for under $8-10 is the norm, if you're willing to do the labor.

A few tips on the luber/sizer machine. I recommend the RCBS Lube A Matic 2 (LAM2) for the home caster, it will run about $140 or so retail, bit cheaper used. I just sold mine with a TP and sizer die for $100 shipped. You will need a top punch and sizer die, that together may run $30 or so. I prefer to shoot bullets that just have a single lube groove. The RCBS and Lyman dies and top punches will work in either machine.

The RCBS dies just have one hole for lube to fill the lube grooves on the bullet and the Lyman dies usually have 4 holes. If you shoot a bullet that has more than two grooves, get the Lyman sizer die. Much easier to size a 3-4 groove bullet with a Lyman die that with a single hole RCBS die. The Lyman dies and TPs are also a bit cheaper. Quality is the same, both are good companies.

Get some good gloves for safety, always wear your glasses and wear your mask.

Here's the mask and glasses I wear.

Here's the gloves.

Here's my setup.

Page generated in 0.03059 seconds with 8 queries