View Single Post
Old November 15, 2012, 04:51 AM   #1
Sevens

These "new" odd calibers -- alive or dying?

I like to read gun magazines...don't pay for 'em anymore, my brother in law gets 'em and forwards them to me, but I've also kept all the magazines I've gotten since I was a kid and I've bought large lots of them for pennies at gun shows over the years. And I read through them in order -- which is kind of funny because it's like a time capsule, especially when you read through them in order and you see these new guns & products develop and you also see these new writers pop on to the scene where before they weren't heard of.

ANYWAY, I'm reading today about the new Hornady .17 HM2, this is the one that followed the .17 HMR which the magazines just gushed over and they made it sounds like every gun owner in all the land bought 3 of them in the first week the round was out. (the .17HMR, not the HM2.) This mag is from 2004, I think.

In any case, I'm wondering how this short string of a ZILLION new cartridges has fared? Anyone who cares at all about the .327 Federal Magnum knows that I'm a fan of that obscure(ish) one, but I'm curious about all the others. It just doesn't seem like we have too many folks here in our forum that ever, EVER discuss loads for the .45 GAP, for example. Or the .480 Ruger. I'll bet some of you have never even heard of the .32 NAA.

I'm not much of a rifle guy, so I'm really curious about all the Ultra-mags, the RUMs, the Super-Short mags, all the new cartridges that just seemed to flood the market in a short span. They provided something that seemed like a good or marketable idea, but did folks STICK with them? Why does it seem like nobody in our forum ever discusses them?

We have any fans of these rounds? I know that the easy answer (and FAR too typical answer) from most anyone that doesn't dink around with anything out of the mainstream is to froth a bit, preach about how they offer "NOTHING!" and "answers a question nobody asked" and 3 or 4 other very worn, lame and re-tread quips that generally only spew rhetoric and attempt to get the hackles up of anyone who likes one of those obscure rounds -- so that's really not what I'm asking for here.

And I'm not talking about otherwise niche or unpopular rounds or even very old and nearly dead rounds, I'm really talking about the big craze of stuff in the last 10 or so years that seemed to just blast on the scene at dang near the same exact time.

Anyone?

Page generated in 0.04226 seconds with 8 queries