View Single Post
Old February 14, 2005, 10:47 PM   #58
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
your statement sure sounds like any gun will do
Caliber matters only to the extent that you need something that will penetrate deeply enough to damage the vitals. I wouldn't recommend a rimfire for personal defense and the .25 is notorious for poor penetration. In some of the lighter "pocket" calibers, it's probably a good idea to carry FMJ so you don't limit your penetration depth until it's ineffective.
Quote:
One round. That means NOPE, NO SECOND SHOT.
There's nothing you can carry that will reliably stop a person with a single shot. Not even with a good solid COM hit. If you want, I can dig up the quote from the medic who treated a couple of Iraqis hit with .50 BMG rounds. So, in a real sense, it doesn't matter what you shoot him with. Unless you get lucky and damage the upper central nervous system, you're not going to stop him no matter what you're shooting. And, if you do damage the upper central nervous system you're going to stop him--again regardless of what you're shooting. There was an article regarding a study by the FBI posted on this forum awhile back that made exactly that point. Where you hit makes a big difference. What you're shooting make very little difference. That's why shooting rapidly and accurately really stacks the odds in your favor--the more you shoot and hit, the better your chance of living.
Quote:
If i can shoot a 45 just as well as you can shoot a 9mm, why would i carry a 9?
Because you would almost certainly be able to shoot a 9mm even better and faster, and, in all likelihood you'd be carrying more rounds as well. If you don't think shooting a 9mm is an advantage compared to shooting a .45ACP then ask yourself why the IPSC rules handicap 9mm and other "minor calibers"? The guys who set it up knew that the 9mm could be shot faster so they designed the rules so the guys using .45s would be able to compete.

Besides, you might not be up against someone like me--who can make good COM hits on a silhouette at 7 yards while shooting my 9mm pistol so that it sounds like an UZI (according to the guy in the shooting lane next to me )--you might be up against some guy who can REALLY shoot!

Page generated in 0.02176 seconds with 8 queries