View Single Post
Old March 4, 2005, 11:48 AM   #27
Rich Lucibella
Staff

TMC-
Wasn't really you I was worried about. It's the hog. Unlike Cape Buff, they tend not to "hunt back". They are a danger if you happen to be at the point of the compass they intend to travel.....but that's about it.

Again, as I stated earlier, there are definitely situations in which the .223 will do the job....if you're hunting from a blind over a feeder at known distance, for instance.
I'd have no problem with that.

My point was borne of the fact that I try to introduce lots of first time hunters, including kids, to the sport. In those situations, it's real important (at least to me) to communicate our responsibility to respect the animal we're about to kill. That means knowing (as much as is possible) that your shot will bring a quick death.

When you state, "I would feel better with a 30 rounder full of Ballistic tips just in case", it demonstrates to me that you are not at all convinced that the .223 can do the job, which brings us full circle. I personally feel more than safe with as little as 5 rounds of .308 and a good handgun.

Enjoy your hunt. Pics still requested.
Rich

Page generated in 0.02871 seconds with 8 queries