View Single Post
Old April 2, 2014, 06:26 AM   #2
B.L.E.

My best guess is that we are doing it to ourselves. You gotta remember that there are over 300,000,000 people living in the USA and if every one of them suddenly decided they needed just one box, not a brick, but a box of .22 ammo, it would take CCI, who makes over a billion rounds a year, fifteen years to catch up with that sudden demand.
It doesn't take a conspiracy or a billionaire deciding to starve the ammo market, all it takes is for the everyone to suddenly feel they have to buy them while they can. Then the empty shelves in the stores reinforces the buy-them-while-you-can buying panic.

This happened to antifreeze in the '70s. I don't know what started it exactly, I think a rumor started that because of the oil embargo, they were going to stop making antifreeze because they needed the petroleum for fuel, but, for a few months, antifreeze was almost unbuyable. People were buying all they could even though they had cases of the stuff in the basement and the empty shelves reinforced the panic.

The last time I went into Cabelas, not only were there no caps, but the hook where they would have hung from had a $7.99 price tag on it. Talk about scalping!

Page generated in 0.03170 seconds with 8 queries