View Single Post
Old January 26, 2013, 08:23 PM   #44
603Country

I hate to intrude on a good hair-pulling fight, but I'm with BartB. I'll say it my way, but I do believe that the fewer variables you have that are impacting barrel whip (flex, harmonics, call it what you will), the better your rifle will or can shoot. Barrel pressure points in the stock of consumer firearms are there for a purpose, but I think that purpose is to reduce or dampen accuracy problems that arise from other parts of the stock. Note that I say "consumer firearms".

Regardless of how thin the barrel is, the harmonics should be repeatable if you have good match type ammo and a properly stocked and bedded action. Repeatable harmonics should allow good accuracy. The thinner the barrel, the more that barrel quality should matter. If you have a thin and lower grade barrel or one of those cheap synthetic stocks, you will need that pressure point in the stock.

I have a Ruger 77 Compact with that short thin barrel, and it seems to like the pressure point. It shoots quite well, so I just leave it alone. If I start messing with the stock, I'll want a new high quality stock and I might as well get a great barrel while I'm at it. I just can't make myself get started on that project when the rifle is so good as-is. It's the only non-floated rifle that I have. If I need to shoot a pig at 400 yards, the rifle is fine. If I need to shoot a pig in the left eye at 400, I'll go get the Swift with the aftermarket barrel and tuneup.

Page generated in 0.02150 seconds with 8 queries