View Single Post
Old September 25, 2012, 06:46 AM   #64
Mystro

I shoot and test all my ammo through my chrono being a reloading super freak. I shoot all my carry rounds into wet newspaper. I like to see how well the factory loads compare to my reloads. I literally would load 500-800 10mm rounds a week in my competitive days in IPSC. The Silvertips in general that I have tested (9,40,45lc, 10mm ) always open up to a big diameter. The 10mm is going at the top end of what the ST bullet needs and shed its jacket half way through the wet paper but the energy transfer is awesome and leaves a large flat bullet. Sierra 135jhp going over 1400fps are explosive in wet paper and leave a hole as big as your fist. I have even hunted some smaller critters with my 135jhp loads and there was nothing left but hair and pieces. If I don't want over penetration, then the 135jhp is my round.

Are you getting your information from the Winchester specs, or have you actually shot the Silvertip ammo over a chronograph? I ask because I have heard numerious times that in actual shooting the Winchester ammo doesn't reach the claimed velocity, therefor it also doesn't produce the claimed energy.

Last edited by Mystro; September 25, 2012 at 06:52 AM.

Page generated in 0.02727 seconds with 8 queries