View Single Post
Old March 20, 2012, 07:57 AM   #5
kraigwy

I have two Win Model 70 Featherweights, a 257 Rbts and a 270 Win.

Sure they get hot, anything will given how little metal there is. But it doesn't hurt anything.

Like you said you don't shoot that much when hunting. If it takes 5 or 6 rounds to get your critter, you have more problems then a hot barrel.

The thing is they (mine anyway) are dern accurate until you get to 7 rounds or so.

I don't even carry extra ammo when hunting, I put 5 in the rifle and thats it. Never got hot on me hunting but I sure notice the lack of weight.

In a hunting rifle you really don't care about the accuracy in the 7, 8, or 9th round, you're concerned with the 1st, or maybe second shot.

To sight it in, take it out one morning and shoot two rounds, if need be adjust and take it out the next day and fire 2 more rounds, keep doing that until you have it zeroed.

I have gongs set out at 100, 200, 300 and 400. Every now and then, to confirm the zero I load it up, shoot the first round at my 25 yard pistol target, then one each at 100, 200, 300, and 400. If I hit all my gongs I'm happy.

It doesn't get that hot in only 5 rounds.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.02592 seconds with 8 queries