View Single Post
Old September 9, 2013, 02:25 PM   #1
Venom1956

GuntalkTV "first person defender" opinions?

So I sometimes listen to Guntalk podcasts while I work to drowned out the horrible horrible music they have.

While I am not a huge fan of it. It helps the day go by and its about guns. Also it is the only gun podcast I seem to be able to stream well @ work.

They are really pushing this First Person Defender video series so out of boredom when I was on YouTube and I decided to watch them. Quite alot of good info for someone new to CC or even a long time carrier. I am sure much of it for vets of this board will find it redundant.

I did like the red marker on the white shirt to show knife cuts. I think that really helped put that into perspective for the guy.

I also liked when the girl @ the robbery got shot quite a few times when she tried to draw on the robber when it wasn't the right time was also a good one to teach. I think her mindset is what quite a few novice CCW have and hopefully they won't make that mistake.

My most favorite pro was the road rage when they told him. You have a 2 ton car. (i know it was a truck) It can be used as a means of escape or a weapon if necessary, don't even need to go to guns.

But! BUUUUUT! This is the one I took issue with, HUGE issue. Mother & Father home invasion. They have to cross a hallway and retrieve their small child. It is stated that they have an AR and a pistol in the bedroom ready to go.

When it starts the father grabs the pistol and goes to check it out. proceeds to exchange rounds then has the wife retrieve the rifle for him. That's about the extent of her interaction until the baby needs to be picked up. So everything is riding on this father fighting two guys and winning. I took issue with that. He could be struck immediately by a round when coming around the corner and be put out of the fight. Also after they cross the hallway she runs in to a dark room that has two entrances unarmed while her husbands back is to her. Could be someone in there they could just completely ignore her and attack while his back is turned, take her hostage or just outright shoot her.

Now my girl is no gunfighter but she has knowledge and the ability to use the firearms we have here for home defense, because I won't always be here. She will actually get the long gun because she is more confident on making hits quickly she has more rounds and its a better weapon. While I would also prefer a long gun to a pistol I would much rather have her be much more capable in defending herself and worst case me. Now if she had to grab a child she would take the pistol so her other hand could be free to open doors or hold the child. Not saying she should 'Rambo up' but I'd hope she'd at least be self sufficient if need be.

I was just surprised that the trainers didn't seem to touch on any of this in that episode? Having the wife be a 'gopher' in a gunfight seems like a terrible misuse of resources.

Well that became quite long winded! I'd love to hear from some of you guys opinions pros & cons. what u agreed with or disagreed with. Overall it was good.

I'd love to get my butt handed to me in one of these and learn a few things.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug

Page generated in 0.03619 seconds with 8 queries