View Single Post
Old July 5, 2012, 06:05 PM   #2
BigJimP

I don't recall - when I made that post ( or what I said...) geez, my memory is getting bad.... But I do know that Shotgun Sports, I think Johnny Cantu did the test and wrote the article..., did a review on the gun, and as I recall, he liked it a lot.

I did a search, on Shotgun sports website - it was the Jan 2010 issue - and the UGB Trap was on the cover. I no longer have the issue ..
..some Rat Bast--- borrowed it /..don't even remember who ...

I've been able to put a few shells thru the Trap version ( parallel, adj comb with the recoil reduction system on it ) ....and I would want that version vs the sporting version / frankly I think the Trap version, since its more adjustable, is a better Sporting Clays gun than their "sporting version" of the model. But then, I like parallel comb guns...and adjustability in a "clays" gun is a really big deal to me.

Trap version lists currently for $ 4,125 / sporting version for $ 3975... and the parallel comb and the recoil reducer alone makes the extra $ 250 a deal...but then since the sporting model doesn't have it / might explain why you found one for $2,000. But then again ....maybe you're just in the right place ..at the right time ???

Beretta first started talking about this gun around 2005 ...brought some out / they performed badly ...and they took it back to the drawing board...and reintroduced it sometime in 2009. So this new version has been out for a little over 3 yrs. Both of the guns I see in my area...are being shot on sporting ...and I hear they're performing very well / they're both at least 2 yrs old now. Both shooters gave up O/U's and went to them. I know they're 2 3/4" chambers ....and I think the weight is around 9 lbs on the Trap version / which is a plus if its balanced properly - and based on my limited experience with them / the gun felt balanced.

My competition days are over...and while I still consider buying one / just because / ....but with no real purpose to it ...it makes no sense ( especially since I have over a dozen Browning Citori's I can shoot now ..)....but when I find a "lightly used one" on the market one of these days, I intend to snatch it up ....just for giggles.../ plus I have a pair of Benelli Super Sport semi-autos to shoot - when I want to shoot semi-autos ...so it isn't like I don't have a gun to shoot --- and "need one"...

I don't think the action is "gas activated" ...but I'm not sure whether its similar to Beretta's system that Benelli developed or a hybrid or whatever. They reportedly - operate just fine with good quality reloads ( shells have to be resized / but most presses do that today / or at least mine do ). The gun has a little bit of a strange look to some / ..so that - and the price keeps shooters away from them ( other Beretta semi-autos are about $ 1,500 less / or the Benelli super sport for around $2,000 ) ...

Honestly, I would say - don't buy the sporting version ...and hold out for a Trap version ( they're both 30" barrels )...the sporting version is lighter but it lacks the adjustability. Do you have a line on the Trap version ?? I looked quickly on Joel Etchen's site / and Cole Gunsmithing ...and I didn't see any listed...but they may have some ??

Page generated in 0.02365 seconds with 8 queries