View Single Post
Old July 7, 2013, 03:38 PM   #41
couldbeanyone

Ozzieman, I FEEL that you could be right about the Ruger being stronger. In my personal opinion, I don't find the Marlin 1894 action design to be particularly inspired or strong. I neither own or desire one. That being said, the 1894 has been tested to destruction and we KNOW where the limit is on it.
If the Ruger was a front locking lug action I would have no doubt that it would be stronger. But, although the Ruger basically looks like a Mauser 98, it is a rear locking lug action. The bolt area is very open creating the possibility of weakness and flex in this area. Compare the bolt area opening of the Ruger, to a modern rear locking lug acton designed for high pressures, e.g. a Steyr SSG. The bolt area opening at the ejection port on the Steyr is just a very small opening only big enough to allow a spent casing to be ejected. This leaves a great deal more strength and ridgidity in the action. Older more open rear locking lug actions, e.g. Lee-Enfield SMLE, are well known for flexing enough to greatly shorten cartridge case life due to the stretching of said case due to the flex in the action.
So, while I agree that I FEEL that the Ruger MAY be stronger, you won't catch me voluntering to test that FEELING by running hot loads in one.

Page generated in 0.03310 seconds with 8 queries