View Single Post
Old March 19, 2013, 07:52 PM   #33
Darker Loaf

After around 9,000 or so rounds in my XD, when I'd run +P through it, I'd have a FTE, and then that FTE would cause a double feed. It was weird, I could shake the round out of the chamber pretty easily, but it did that consistently. It did not do this with regular pressure ammo. I showed my gun to my gunsmith one lucky day at the range and he checked the extractor: no problems there.

He said my guide rod could be worn out, and true enough, it was really pretty easy to rack the slide when compared to a new XD (I had just bought my dad a new XD 4" like mine and it was much harder to rack). Fortunately, I had a couple of solid guide rods and a spring set from Wolff that I'd been using, and sure enough when I swapped out the old factory guide rod and used a fresh spring, I had no problems.

Other than that consistent failure brought about by mechanical failure (wearing my gun out through use), I've had around 3 FTE's total in my XD. That was usually after 1,000 or more rounds of dirty ammunition OR overlubing my pistol after cleaning and shooting dirty ammunition. If I keep my gun fairly dry (not completely) and clean it every couple hundred rounds, it runs 100%.

Page generated in 0.03185 seconds with 8 queries