View Single Post
Old April 8, 2007, 07:37 PM   #8
Ken O

I have made tons of targets over the years, not for profit, but for friends and clubs. As far as the steel, 3/8" is fine, used some 1/2" but it wasn't necessary. I used to use the AR (400,500) plate, but it got so expensive, $1600 a 4X8 sheet that I went to the cheap mild steel (A-36) about $250 a sheet, its been a year or so since I bought any, so it probably cost more now. I have many steel targets in my pistol pit in my back yard, they have taken thousands of hits without any damage at all.
I changed all my reactive stuff to just bolt down. You can see the hits each shot, after five or six hits, just take a can of white spray paint and re-paint, just like you do at any Steel Challenge match.
My favorite targets are the bowling pins. Cut the steel out the same dimension as the pin and bolt them to a horizontal 4X4. Shoot like the old pin matches (Second Chance), but you don't have to bend over and reset the pins. For bolting them down, use a 3X3 angle iron 4" long, (or whatever you have laying around), weld the target to the angle in whatever position makes it easy to bolt down.

Page generated in 0.03474 seconds with 8 queries