View Single Post
Old October 27, 2013, 03:49 PM   #1
pitbill123

Elk hunt MT- 308 or 7mm mag??

Hi all- first post so please be patient. I am going on a late season elk hunt in MT- I have numerous rifles ( over 25) but I shoot my 308's and my 7mm's the best. The 308 is a tack drive ( savage precision carbine) and I'm very comfortable shooting it and rarely have a stray shot or flyer with it. It shoots the barnes ttsx 165 gr and nosler custom accubond165 perfectly. The 7mm also shoots great (savage LRH) and shoots 170 federal soft point real nice. I have to admit the recoil of the 7mm is starting to bother this 51 year old and I find myself flinching sometimes, not often, but enough to make me second guess using it on the elk hunt. Is the 308 enough gun for elk at 200-250 yrds with the 165 accubonds or ttsx? I'd hate to screw up and hit an elk and not put him down due to lack of energy. I have no experience with elk but I did go moose hunting last year in Newfoundland ( got a 46 incher with a 338 win mag savage "hog hunter" at 20 yrds -he just flopped over) and I imagine elk are a bit easier to put down. I use the 308 for whitetails and it just knocks them down every time, but will it knock down elk the same way is the question. Thanks for all reply's!!!

Page generated in 0.03487 seconds with 8 queries